Washington lobbied for a “large Magazine to supply the diverse forts and stores.” He chose Winchester to be that site due to its strategic location.
1830: The former Oyster House site is sold to Joseph Baker who built a new structure and started a girl’s school.
1832: Peyton Street is opened to the South of the property
1855: Miss Casey takes over operation of the girl’s school.
1858: The Girl’s School becomes an Episcopal Seminary.
1862: The Property is sold to J.C. Van Fosse who operated it as a classical school until 1866.
1866: The Valley Female Institute relocates to this site.
1905: The Glass family acquires the site and Mrs. Kate Glass Green and Miss Laura Gold (later Mrs. Laura Crawford) operate Fort Loudoun Seminary. It continued as a girl’s boarding school until 1925 when the front part of the building was turned into apartments and the school became a day school for boys and girls.